AREAS OF RESEARCH
The WJEC is currently soliciting academic paper abstracts related to the wider issue of journalism education. These will be presented as refereed research papers at the forthcoming Paris conference.
Abstracts will be accepted on a variety of topics related to mass communication. However, submitters are encouraged to focus their entries on the broader conference theme: “Teaching Journalism During a Disruptive Age.”
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
WJEC invites interested presenters to electronically submit abstracts only (minimum 500 words; maximum 800 words) by October 22nd, 2018 (23:59 Pacific Time). Full papers are due on June 1, 2019 to be eligible for inclusion in the online conference proceedings.
When submitting an abstract, please follow these steps:
- Go to the conference abstract submission platform.
- Click on “Registration” in the Menu bar or click on “Create Account” in the Login Menu. It will take you to “Create New Account,” which is self-explanatory and guided. Finish signing up by confirming your email address.
- Once the account is set up, sign in using your email address and password.
- To submit the abstract, click on “Create a new Paper Submission.”
- Select from the menu the specific stream/subject area (see above) you want to submit to. Note that each paper can only be submitted to one stream. Papers submitted to more than one stream will automatically be disqualified.
- The next step will require you to provide the title of the paper, an abstract (9,000 characters maximum). If your abstract’s character count exceeds 9,000 characters, you can also attach it as a doc or PDF file. However, you cannot leave the abstract box empty, write a brief abstract or keywords for your paper if you choose to upload it as an attachment. The abstract should give a clear sense of the scope of the research, research objectives and methods of inquiry. If researchers have completed their projects by the submission deadline, paper abstracts must also include research results and conclusions/discussion.
- Next you can add additional authors, if there are any. You can add as many authors as you need.
- Finally, click the submit button to upload the abstract.
- You can log in to the site at any time to check the status of your submission or if you need to edit something. You can only do this up to the submission deadline of October 22nd, 2018 (23:59 Pacific Time). You would not be able to make any changes to your submission after the deadline.
Also note the following:
- Ensure that the document you upload does NOT include ANY information that identifies the author or his/her affiliation. Abstracts submitted with author identifiable information will automatically be removed from the pool of submissions and will not be considered for review or included in the conference program.
- Ensure that you add ALL your name, affiliation, email address and other required information in the online system before uploading your paper abstract. This enables the conference organizers to keep track of individual authors and their abstracts. Ensure the email address you include is the one you want the paper chair to use to communicate with you about your submission and where you will receive a confirmation once you have successfully submitted your abstract.
A panel of international judges will blind-review all submissions. Paper selections will be finalized by the end of November 2018 and presenters will be informed accordingly. Conference proceedings will be edited.
For more information about the 2019 WJEC in Paris, please contact:
> Pascal GUENEE, Head of IPJ, Paris-Dauphine University School of Journalism / Directeur d’IPJ, l’Institut Pratique du Journalisme de Paris-Dauphine: pascal.guenee[@]parisdauphine.fr
> Rebecca CLARK Senior Conference Coordinator: rebecca.zanartu-hicks[@]parisdauphine.fr
For more information about the call for papers, please contact:
> Elanie STEYN, Paper Competition Chair: elanie[@]ou.edu